Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Translation Please? Venturing Out without a Guide

Shopping at LiWan Plaza ("Up-Down Street") In Guangzhou
Very strong.  Very determined.
I personally do not have the energy required to deal with complicated language barriers right now, but I give Neil a lot of props for fearlessly plunging forward in order to get the results he needs for his family.  Yesterday, he waded into a very popular local Cantonese joint and somehow -- through gestures, pointing at pictures, the useless repetition of key words, and pantomime (i.e. pointing to the door and pretending to walk out to indicate a "to go" meal) -- he managed to order us all a delicious take out meal.

I realize how dependent I've become on our wonderful guides when they are not available to us.  "Aron," our Guangzhou guide, has an excellent grasp of the English language, and she is also incredibly organized, deftly handling the last stages of our paperwork with minimal involvement from us.  Yesterday was the last step in our two week Chinese adventure -- our Consulate Appointment and swearing in ceremony, effectively granting Katie a US visa and citizenship upon deplaning in California. 

I became mildly anxious when Aron handed us a clear plastic envelope containing all of the necessary papers that she had carefully organized and told us that she would not be with us at the appointment.  Because of space restrictions, she would have to wait in the lobby several floors away from us.  There was nothing to worry about, of course.  She had organized our papers perfectly and was with us until the very moment they would not let her through, in fact, effectively body-blocking the crushing crowd behind us so that we could maintain our place in line.  But I still missed her.

Buoyed by this success, we thought we'd follow Aron's advice to take a taxi to Shamian Island to do a little sightseeing and tourist shopping on our own.  Up and until now, "shopping" in both Changsha and Guangzhou has involved our guides leading us to very loud, crowded, commercial strips selling upscale clothing, watches, and jewelry (such as the LiWan Plaza in the picture attached).  We've been eager to find a more relaxed shopping environment so we can find some small trinkets to bring home.  Shamian Island, a man made area that has been historically friendly to adopting families, sounded like the perfect place.  And it was, actually, although it took us two jolting cab rides in commuter traffic (the first cab dropped us off -- disoriented and confused -- in yet another busy, outdoor shopping strip far from our desired destination.  Thank goodness Frunkle Mark pulled out his smartphone to confirm how far off base we were), and unsuccessful communication with hotel staff and strangers on the street, before we finally stumbled upon a Thai restaurant on Shamian Island.  Hungry and dejected, we enjoyed a delicious meal and we were about to give up shopping entirely before we decided to wander a few storefronts down.  Success!  You  might be receiving a little souvenir trinket from me afterall!  ;0

In many instances, the guides serve as translators for the families and their children, as well.  Calla, the 5 year old in our group, for example, would have short conversations with our guide that our guide would in turn, share with her parents.  This has not been so necessary for us --- Tong Tong has a very limited Chinese vocabulary (although she enjoys shouting "Aiya!" at appropriate moments) and has not been interested in communicating with the guides or the random strangers who come up to her and speak to her in Chinese.  Undoubtedly, this will make teaching her English fairly easy, but in the meantime, we struggle through the communication gaps that all parents with young toddlers do.  We have to follow our instincts and make our best guesses.

Yesterday, we were having a great Skype conversation with my parents and while Mark was chatting with them, I was fixing Tong Tong a Cup of Noodles in the background.  Tong Tong followed me about throughout the preparations, but became upset after I poured the water and walked away to let the noodles cook.  She became distraught -- had an all out tantrum where her body stiffened and acted as if she was possessed.  Well, she was possessed, I guess -- by the Hunger Monster.  She was inconsolable for many minutes, but her tears shut down as soon as I waved the noodles under her nose.  I figure Tong Tong would have appreciated a translator at that moment -- someone to tell mommy to speed that food train up.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on these final steps! Truly loving your BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait until you get back into town! We're all anxious to meet Katie. Props to you all and thanks for sharing your wonderful adventure with us! See you soon...
    xxoo
    Elaine, Jon
    Karen & Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for keeping us up to date. Quite the adventure. I am so looking forward to you getting back. I'll make cup o noodles for everyone.

    ReplyDelete